“10 Shocking Facts About Car Crash Claims That Will Make You Think Twice Before Getting Behind the Wheel”
Every day, thousands of car accidents occur on the roads. In the U.S., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that in 2019 alone, more than 36,000 people died in motor vehicle accidents.
As a result of these accidents, many victims end up filing claims for injuries and damages sustained in the crash. Unfortunately, the process of filing a claim can be complex and confusing. This article looks at 10 shocking facts about car crash claims that will make you think twice before getting behind the wheel.
1. It can take a long time to settle a claim – While it is possible to settle a claim quickly, the average settlement time is between 4-6 months. This is due to the fact that insurance companies have their own investigation processes and need time to assess liability and damages.
2. Most insurance companies start off with a lowball offer – Insurance companies typically make an initial lowball offer as part of their negotiation strategy during settlement talks. If you accept this initial offer, you may be leaving money on the table when it comes to your total compensation amount.
3. You might not get full compensation for your injuries – Depending on how much coverage you have, you might not get full compensation for your injuries and damages sustained in the accident. If your coverage is insufficient, you may end up having to pay out-of-pocket costs for medical treatments or repairs to your vehicle.
4. The statute of limitations varies from state to state – The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file a claim after an accident has taken place. Different states have different statutes of limitations so it’s important to file within this time period in order to ensure that you are eligible for compensation.
5. You may be entitled to non-economic damages – Car accident victims may also be entitled to non-economic damages such as pain and suffering or emotional distress caused by the accident. These damages are difficult to accurately quantify but can significantly increase your settlement amount if proven in court.
6. Victims can sue for punitive damages – In addition to economic and non-economic damages, victims can also sue for punitive damages if they are able to prove that the defendant acted with gross negligence or recklessness while operating their vehicle at the time of the accident.
7. There is no one-size-fits all approach when it comes to car crash claims – Every car crash claim is unique and requires its own individualized approach in order to maximize compensation amounts for victims of accidents. It’s important to consult with an experienced lawyer who can help guide you through this process and ensure that all options have been explored before settling a case
8. Hiring a lawyer can increase your chances of winning your case – A lawyer experienced in personal injury law will be able to evaluate your case and develop a sound legal strategy that best suits your needs and interests during settlement negotiations or litigations. This increases your chances of getting fair compensation for your losses after an accident has taken place.
9. Your lawyer will negotiate on your behalf – A lawyer experienced in car crash claims will understand how insurance companies operate and will use their knowledge and experience during negotiations with adjusters or attorneys representing the other party involved in the accident in order to get you maximum compensation for your losses incurred after an accident has taken place
10. An attorney can help protect you from fraudsters – Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous individuals who take advantage of unsuspecting victims after an accident has taken place by offering them too good to be true deals or promising easy money if they sign over their rights following an accident has taken place . An attorney experienced in personal injury law will help protect you from these fraudulent activities by ensuring that all settlements are fair and just before signing any papers related to an injury claim following an accident has taken place
In conclusion, these 10 shocking facts about car crash claims should make anyone think twice before getting behind the wheel as they demonstrate just how complicated filing a claim can be without proper legal guidance from an experienced attorney . An attorney experienced in personal injury law will provide invaluable insight into how best handle each step of the process from filing paperwork , negotiating with adjusters , and protecting victims from fraud . If you’ve been involved in an auto accident , do not hesitate seek legal advice as soon as possible .