What types of damages can I recover in a personal injury claim in Marshfield, Missouri?
Personal injury claims are often an important part of recovering from an accident or incident caused by another person’s negligence. In Marshfield, Missouri, victims of personal injury can file a claim to recover damages for their losses. Such damages can be both economic and non-economic, and this article will provide an overview of what types of damages you may be entitled to recover in a personal injury claim in Marshfield, Missouri.
The most common type of damages sought in personal injury claims are economic damages. This type of damage is intended to compensate the victim for their financial losses resulting from the accident or incident. In Marshfield, Missouri, these economic damages can include:
• Medical expenses: These are the costs associated with medical treatment for your injuries, such as doctor visits, hospital stays, medications, and physical therapy.
• Lost wages: If you were unable to work due to your injuries, you may be able to recover the income you would have earned had you not been injured.
• Property damage: If your property was damaged due to the incident, you may be able to recover the cost of repairs or replacement.
• Loss of earning capacity: If your injuries prevent you from working in the same capacity as before the accident or incident, you may be able to receive compensation for the loss of income that would have been earned.
Non-economic damages are also available in Marshfield, Missouri for personal injury claims. These are intended to compensate victims for the non-financial losses resulting from the accident or incident. These non-economic damages can include:
• Pain and suffering: This is a measure of physical and psychological distress experienced due to the incident. It can include physical pain as well as mental anguish such as anxiety or depression.
• Loss of enjoyment: If your injuries prevent you from participating in activities or hobbies that you previously enjoyed, you may be able to seek compensation for this loss.
• Emotional Distress: This can include any emotional suffering caused by the incident or injuries sustained in it. This can include fear, humiliation, shock, anxiety, and more.
• Loss of consortium: If your relationship with a spouse has been negatively impacted due to the incident, they may be eligible for compensation as well under this category.
Punitive damages are a type of damage intended to punish wrongdoers for their negligence rather than simply compensating victims for their losses. In Marshfield, Missouri punitive damages are rarely awarded but may be available in cases where gross negligence has occurred or where intentional harm was done by the at fault party. It is important to note that punitive damages may not be available in all cases so it is important to check with an experienced personal injury attorney if you believe that punitive damages should apply in your case.
Personal injury claims exist to help victims recover from accidents or incidents caused by another person’s negligence. In Marshfield, Missouri there are several types of damages that may be available depending on the circumstances surrounding your injury including both economic and non-economic damages as well as punitive damages in some cases. It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney if you believe that you may have suffered losses due to someone else’s negligence so they can help advise you on what type of compensation may be available in your case.