Can I Sue for Pain and Suffering in a Missouri Personal Injury Claim?

Pain and suffering can be a major factor in personal injury cases, and the ability to sue for these damages is something that many victims of accidents, negligence, and intentional wrongdoing find important to their case. Whether or not you can sue for pain and suffering in the state of Missouri depends on the specifics of your situation.

In Missouri, the law permits victims of personal injuries to sue for both economic and non-economic damages. This includes pain and suffering, which is considered a non-economic damage. Non-economic damages are intended to compensate you for the emotional trauma, physical discomfort, and psychological harm suffered as a result of another’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing.

The amount of compensation you may receive from a successful lawsuit for pain and suffering is determined by the severity of the injury sustained and the impact it has had on your life. Generally speaking, more serious injuries often correspond to larger damage awards. That being said, no two personal injury cases are alike, so it is important to discuss your options with an experienced attorney before pursuing a claim in court.

In order to successfully sue for pain and suffering in Missouri, you must first prove that another party was responsible for causing your injury. This can be done through evidence such as medical records, witness statements, photographs, and police reports. Once responsibility has been established, you will then need to demonstrate how the injury has impacted your life in terms of physical pain, emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life activities (e.g., hobbies), lost wages due to missed work days, medical bills associated with treatment for the injury, etc.

It is also important to note that Missouri follows a modified comparative negligence law when it comes to personal injury cases. This means that if it is determined that you are partially at fault for the incident that resulted in your injury (e.g., if it is found that you were negligent in some way), then any award you receive may be reduced by an amount proportional to your degree of fault.

In conclusion, yes – if someone else’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing has resulted in an injury to you or a loved one in Missouri, then you may be able to sue for pain and suffering damages as part of a personal injury claim. That being said, this type of legal action should not be taken lightly; it is important that you consult with an experienced attorney who can help evaluate your case and determine what steps should be taken next.