Does My Insurance Policy Cover Damage Caused by Riots and Vandalism?

The answer to this question is…PROBABLY. It really depends on two things.

First – Riots and Vandalism as “Perils”

First, does your insurance policy specifically list riots and vandalism as covered “perils?” Most insurance policies do.

Second – Building Vacant?

Assuming you’re in the majority, the next thing you need to look at is whether your building was vacant, and if so, for how long. Most policies have an exclusion for vacant buildings. In other words, if the building was vacant at the time the damage occurred, you’re not covered. Policies typically specify how long the building must be vacant before coverage is excluded, so check your policy to see how long you have before you lose your coverage.

Good News, Bad News

So if your building was occupied, the GOOD NEWS is that you likely have coverage if your building was damaged. The BAD NEWS is that you might have some cleaning up to do. If you need some help swinging that broom, give us a call. (888) 550.4026. We’re not afraid to roll up our sleeves and get to work.

One Final Note…

One last note. Just because you’re covered, doesn’t mean you’re totally covered. Your amount of coverage for riots and vandalism may be limited by the policy. Check your limits and pay the additional money for a rider if you think your policy doesn’t provide enough coverage.

Next Steps?

Give us a call at (888) 550.4026 if you have any questions.

Tyson Mutrux